Sunday, December 15, 2013

#8- ESUHSD Board Meeting


Board members from left to right: Magdalena Carrasco (Board Member), Frank Biehl (Board President), Chris D. Funk (Superintendent), and Lan Nguyen (Board Member)

The last place I went to on my scavenger hunt was an East Side Union High School District Board Meeting on December 12, 2013.  The meeting started at 6:30 but I didn't get there until a little after it started because I was eating dinner.  This was a huge mistake on my part.  I was hoping to meet and take some pictures with the board members after the meeting.  Little did I know that the meetings last FOREVER.  I'm not even exaggerating.  When I left, at about 8:30, the meeting wasn't even half way over, and ya girl needs her sleep. There was no way I was going to stay until the end.  So, instead, I decided to selfie with the board members during the meeting.

Selfie with the board members!

Close up selfie! Left to right: Magdalena Carrasco (Board Member), Frank Biehl (Board President), Chris D. Funk (Superintendent), and J. Manuel Herrera (Board Vice President)

I know I didn't technically get to meet them, but it's better than nothing.  Plus, I actually payed attention during the meeting.  There was an organization mentioned called Beautiful Day who helped to clean up and turn around the campus at James Lick High School.  Also, the President and Vice President from Andrew Hill High School gave a presentation on eliminating common dress at their school.  Common dress  means that they are only allowed to wear black pants, along with black, gray, white, and yellow tops.  I thought that it was very strange that our schools are in the same district, and yet we could have such widely different dress code policies. Although the two boys gave a pretty terrible presentation, there was one point that really stood out to me.  They placed two pictures next to each other, one of their campus with common dress, and another of a different school with a typical dress code, and asked, "Which campus looks more inviting?" The Andrew Hill campus looked so dull and boring in comparison, and it was surprising how much of a difference a little thing like dress code can make.  After that, Superintendent Chris Funk gave an extremely long presentation about a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't understand.  I took this time to take a look around the board room, and I noticed that there were a bunch of pictures on the walls of all the different high schools' valedictorians.  It was really interesting to me how some schools only had one or two people, while Evergreen Valley had two whole frames filled with all the different people's pictures.  Kind of makes you a little proud to go to Evergreen, where so many successful students emerge.  And that was pretty much everything that I took out from the meeting, and a nice ending to this local government scavenger hunt.

Phone Number: (408) 347-5000

No comments:

Post a Comment